Monday, October 31, 2011

Vegan CHOPPED?

Have you ever seen the show Chopped? I adore this show. The premise is, four chef contestants compete for $10,000 by cooking 3 courses (if they're not eliminated first): appetizer, main course, and dessert. The catch is, they are required to use four pre-determined "mystery" ingredients in each course. And they have a very short time to cook! After each course their dishes are judged, and one chef is eliminated. By dessert, there are two left, and the winner is declared at the end of the show.

I like Chopped so much because it shows me new cooking techniques and creative ways to put food together. What I don't like is that anything goes -- I've seen them use everything from eel to veal.

I did a quick google search and found a few references to a vegan Chopped. Check these out!

http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/2010/03/next-generation-of-chopped.html
http://vegetarianstar.com/2011/05/30/cindi-avila-chopped-meat-from-diet-to-become-great-celebrity-chef-video/

I dream of a vegan version of Chopped. So if anyone out there is in production and wants to do this, count me in! Or maybe we can find a company or organization to sponsor a Chopped-like contest where contestants have to create a vegan recipe using four mystery ingredients (red lentils, durian, turnips, and hominy, anyone?).

1 comment:

Amanda Campbell said...

I do love Chopped! I respect you're a vegan! I don't think that I could ever have the determination to do so! But have you seen Masterchef now that's the best cooking show! "Masterchef goes Vegan"