Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hooray for vegan bake sales

This past weekend, my local group, Montclair Vegans, held a bake sale to raise money for Vegan Outreach, one of my favorite groups. My only regret is that I didn't take a photo of the tables and tables of amazing looking baked goods, everything from spinach pockets to personal pizzas to carrot cake cupcakes to chocolate strawbrery thumbprints. I made chocolate chip cookies (photo here) and gluten free muffins (below).

This is an incredibly easy recipe for gluten free applesauce raisin muffins, using Arrowhead Mills gluten-free pancake and baking mix.



Gluten-Free Applesauce Raisin Muffins

2 cups gluten-free baking mix, such as Arrowhead Mills
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups rice milk
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup soft raisins

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with foil baking cups or well-oil-sprayed paper ones (boy do these stick to paper ones without oil spray!). Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk in the rice milk and oil until smooth and well combined. Stir in applesauce and raisins. Spoon equally into the baking cups. Bake on the center rack until lightly browned and a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin tests clean, about 25 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

TRISTA said...

Glad you're back! VeganMOFO is happening this month, and I visited your blog to see if you were taking part. Now I'm eager to get to TJ's and find the edamame hummus.

TRISTA said...

Glad you're back! VeganMOFO is happenig this month, and I visited your blog to see if you're taking part. Now I'm eager to visit TJ's and try the edamame hummus!