Monday, April 20, 2009

Sprouting for Beginners - Day 1

I was going to call this "Sprouting for Dummies" but a) I don't want to insult anyone, and b) there might already be a book by that name. I've personally always felt, well, challenged, when it comes to sprouting. But every time I read about it, I'm told how "easy" it is. And the fact that sprouts are super-nutritious and economical just reinforced my desire to give it a try.

So, this is the first of several posts that will detail my very first attempt at sprouting.

Today, a cold rainy day, Ben and I embarked on our Sprouting Journey. We got this Sprouting Jar and the sprouting seeds at our local health food store, which cost less than $10 (for both!). Yes, you can use any old glass jar covered with a cheesecloth/rubber band, but I opted for a large jar with the metal mesh top. And you can sprout many different beans and seeds, but I opted for the stuff sold specifically for sprouting, just to start.

We washed the jar, measured out 1/2 cup beans, and rinsed them well. We put the rinsed beans and 2 cups of lukewarm water into the jar and set it on the counter.

That's it.

They stay there for 12 hours. And during that period, I will dump the water, rinse the beans, and replace the water.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's sprouting adventure.

No comments: