Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Recipe: Black Bean and Corn Salad

I admit it: Before making this salad, I'd never hand-cut corn from the cob. I guess the corn was always gobbled up! This time, though, I went a little overboard at the Montclair Farmer's Market and had 3 extra ears. What to do with cooked, leftover corn on the cob? A cool summer salad is just the thing.

You don't have to follow this recipe exactly. In fact, vary it to your taste. No rules here!

You will need:

  • 1 large (29 oz) can or 2 regular (15.5 oz) cans black beans, rinsed well in a colander
  • corn from 2-4 ears, cut off with a sharp serrated knife
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 3 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
  • 1/3 cup Spanish olive oil
  • juice of 1-2 limes (taste after 1) or 2-3 tbsp bottled lime juice
  • 1-2 tbsp ground cumin
  • Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste

I would have put in fresh cilantro but I didn't want to bug my neighbor to invade her herb garden again! So if you have some on hand, put in a handful (chopped).

Add in bell peppers, if you have, chopped cucumber, or anything else you think would be good.

If you like a little heat, add jalapeno peppers or chili powder.

No comments: