You don't have to follow this recipe exactly. In fact, vary it to your taste. No rules here!
You will need:
- 1 large (29 oz) can or 2 regular (15.5 oz) cans black beans, rinsed well in a colander
- corn from 2-4 ears, cut off with a sharp serrated knife
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup Spanish olive oil
- juice of 1-2 limes (taste after 1) or 2-3 tbsp bottled lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp ground cumin
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
I would have put in fresh cilantro but I didn't want to bug my neighbor to invade her herb garden again! So if you have some on hand, put in a handful (chopped).
Add in bell peppers, if you have, chopped cucumber, or anything else you think would be good.
If you like a little heat, add jalapeno peppers or chili powder.