Monday, March 7, 2011

Soy-free, wheat-free, nut-free vegan breakfasts

Now that I'm following a diet free of so many wonderful yummy and nutritious things, people often ask "what's left?"

I would like to share some of my favorite products and recipes. Starting with breakfast.

Most days I start out with a bowl of oatmeal. Some people say that oatmeal is not gluten-free (and I'm not avoiding all gluten, but it is an issue so I'll mention it here), but the reason that it traditionally has not been free of gluten is due to contamination with wheat. In fact, oats made in dedicated GF facilities can be sold as "GF Oats." More on this here.

But, if oatmeal doesn't agree with you, you can always start the day with creamy millet and/or amaranth (make with a 1:4 ratio of grain to water for a creamier consistency).

On top of the oatmeal go my obligatory fruits: sliced strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. Ground flax seeds go on next (note: I'm not eating sesame seeds, since my son is allergic and allergies run in families. But I am enjoying flax). I top it off with coconut beverage (Silk and So Delicious are 2 easily available brands), rice milk, or hemp milk.

On days I prefer a cold cereal, there are a ton of options. From crispy brown rice to GF flake cereal, I've tried several. When I want something a little sweet, I reach for Nature's Path Sunrise cereal (pictured above). I love this cereal! I also have been enjoying several wheat-free, nut-free granolas, my favorite being New England Naturals Omega Hemp & Flax. I like making a breakfast parfait with plain coconut yogurt (very sweet for a plain yogurt), berries, and granola.

Breakfast is pretty easy, once you have your allergy-free options in your fridge and pantry. And these days there's no shortage of choice.

No comments: