Friday, June 12, 2009

The Vegan Sandwich Grill

Call it the George Foreman, the Panini Grill, the Sandwich Grill, or the Indoor Mini Grill: it's a great piece of kitchen equipment no matter what your diet. They run from about $20 to $150, but you can get a decent one for about $40.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, take a peak here. These grills are traditionally known for grilling meats, but more and more of them are being advertised as a cooker for veggies and sandwiches as well.

This is the one I have, and I love it. As the reviews say, it's extremely easy to clean and cooks food FAST! And I got it for only $20 in a store that was going out of business.

The other day I made roasted vegetable wraps and my mouth is watering just thinking about them.

My secret is that I spread the wrap with a thin layer of hummus first. The flavor is like a Mediterranean sauce for the veggies, but the wrap stays nice and crisp on the outside. The veggies were a breeze to make. Simply toss sliced peppers and onions with some olive oil and herbs, and roast in the oven at 400 degrees, tossing every few minutes. For more delicate veggies like eggplant and mushrooms, slice and marinate in a balsamic-olive oil mixture for a few minutes, and roast for a much shorter period (no tossing needed).

For this sandwich, I used a flax wrap, Sabra's hummus, roasted onions and peppers (tossed with olive oil and italian seasonings) and marinated portabello mushrooms (with balsamic BLAZE and olive oil).



I think I'll go make another one!

If you have recipe ideas for a panini grill, please send them along.

1 comment:

Everyday Superhero said...

It's not a sandwich unless there's hummus. We use our panini press a lot too.