This potato salad pictured here is one of my favorite summertime treats. And people never guess that it's vegan.
Dina's Picnic Potato Salad
- 3 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed and rough spots removed (or peeled)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1 scant cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish (finally, a way to use all that relish!)
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt to taste
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, relish, and paprika. When the potatoes are tender (don't overcook!), rinse well in cold water. When they're cooled, add dressing and toss well. Add the veggies. Salt to taste.
Lemony Buckwheat Noodles with Tempeh
(sorry I forgot to take a picture!)
This recipe was something of an accident; I had the tempeh in the fridge and I sort of threw together leftovers to complete the meal.
- 8 oz buckwheat noodles, cooked, drained, and rinsed well with very cold water
- 1 package Tofurky brand marinated lemon pepper tempeh OR 1 package Lightlife brand "tempehtations" zesty lemon tempeh
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 1 small onion (Vidalia if available), chopped
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 2 large carrots, 1/4" thick cut on the diagonal, steamed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- freshly ground sea salt to taste
While pasta cooks, saute the onion in 1 tbsp of the olive oil until soft. Add the broccoli and carrots and saute until crisp-tender. In a big bowl, toss veggies with the cooled noodles. Add tempeh and toss again. Make sure you scrape the sauce (from the tempeh package) into your bowl--it's part of the dressing! Add remaining olive oil, lemon juice, and parsley and toss with two big forks until the dressing is well-dispersed. Season with salt and serve.
This recipe is so versatile; use whatever vegetables you'd like.
This is a crunchier, healthier rendition of the egg salad you might remember from days past.
- 1 lb firm tofu, water pressed out (my secret: place tofu in a huge soup pot. Cover with a plate. Place your tea kettle, filled to the top with water, on the plate. Dump the water from the bottom of the pot every few minutes (about an hour total) until the tofu is dry.
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 small dill pickle, chopped and drained well
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup soy mayo
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 scallions, finely chopped